Saturday, May 30, 2009

Thursday, May 7th -- Day 15

- Back on the trail. We slept in 'til around seven, and then took way too long cleaning up and packing to meet our 8 a.m ride, so we decided to leave around noon. This gave me time to completely empty my pack, reorganize my things, and throw away or discard to the hiker box any items that I don't need. After realizing that there were still things to be done in town, and the 12:00 time of departure drawing near, we pushed it back 'til 2:30.

Got a lot done in town. We sent out a box of things that we don't need anymore, picked up some long-sleeved dress shirts (sun protection in the desert) and some books (!) from a thrift shop, weighed our packs at the outfitter's (45 lbs. with 5 days food and two liters water) --

I just became bored while writing that stuff. Here are the important things, in list form:

*Devil's Slide wasn't as tough an ascent as I'd feared.
*My lungs aren't used to this altitude, which makes hiking up here a slow, gasping, breathless chore.
*Despite the altitude thing, despite the fact that I broke one stake and bent another trying to hammer them into this mountain, despite the cuts, scrapes, pains, sweat, dirt, and awful smells, I am so glad to be back on this stupid trail. I can't figure out why. I just feel, right now, like this is the most real and meaningful thing I can remember doing in my life.

Bedtime. 'Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment