Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sunday, May 3rd--Day 11

Camped in a field about fifty yards from Mike's house last night. Despite our attempts at waking up and leaving early, we found ourselves caught by Mike's unique sort of hospitality as he made a big pot of oatmeal. He saw some hikers moving along the hills in the distance and joked (?) about maybe being able to "pick them off from here" with what I assume was a paintball gun. Then he told us that the ribs he'd been smoking all night were done. Altogether, we didn't set out until about nine a.m.

The weather was nice for the first several hours, but the sun started glaring down at us around eleven. The day before, I had forgotten to put sunblock on, and ended up with a pair of very red sunburned arms. Today's sun made them feel like they were on fire. I will not forget sunblock again!

Had lunch down by a water tank (filterable) and I managed to burn my finger on the windscreen (Tom's) for my stove as I boiled my water. I'm not having a lot of luck with heat these last few days. After lunch, lots of difficult uphill hiking in the afternoon heat. Fortunately, I finally got a pair of trekking poles in Warner Springs, which made the climbs much easier.

We have a very nice campsite tonight. Tom took pictures. G'Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment