Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday, April 27th--Day Five

Today was good. Woke up at 5:45 with very little soreness, except the pain in my ribs and back from sleeping on the ground. I'm not really complaining, because, based on how I felt when I went to bed last night, I'm surprised I could even move at all when I got up. We packed quickly and made an early start. After about four hours of solid hiking, we made it to Mount Laguna and the post office therein. Unfortunately, we arrived at ten-thirty, and the post office didn't open 'til noon, so we had a long wait. There was a shop next door, way overpriced but well stocked, and I blew too much money there to feel good about.

After taking care of post office stuff, we hiked back down the road towards the trail, and passed it by, like, half a mile without realizing. Just as we figured out our mistake, the shop owner pulled up in his pickup truck and gave us a ride back to the trail.

Today's hike took us through some beautiful country. We climbed more mountains, of course, and descended into canyons. We followed the trail along a valley and were hammered by intense wind that almost blew us off course. Light began to fade, so we made camp in a valley not quite so windswept, but breezy all the same. The walls of my tent will not stop flapping, and I'm not crazy about it.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment