Saturday, May 16, 2009

Friday, May 1st--Day 9

We stayed in Warner Springs an extra night. I can't bring myself to be happy about this, despite the fact that it is a resort with stylish architecture and a cantina. And a hot spring pool right next to a heated (but cooler than the hot spring) regular pool.

I feel like we've been sidetracked. Here we are at this beautiful resort, eating blue cheese hamburgers until we're stuffed and soaking in the hot spring pool 'til we reek of sulfur, and the trail is still out there, calling. I feel...I don't know how I feel here, but it's not how I feel out there. I didn't realize 'til now how much I've been enjoying this hike. Out there, I lower my head and trudge up hill after hill after hill, pouring sweat. When the pack makes my shoulders hurt, I adjust the straps, shifting the weight to my hips. When my hips become too tired, I put the weight back on my shoulders. When my legs are screaming out and on fire, I stop for a minute to let them catch their breath, and then we trudge on. I Don't Slow My Pace. I was not in great shape when I started this, and I still have a long way to go, but I'm doing it, and my body is listening to me.

I'm being premature in my confidence. The desert is coming up soon. I don't know how well I'll handle the extreme temperatures. But I will try. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait to get out of this hotel room and back into my tent, so I can feel like I'm doing something again. I am out of here tomorrow! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment