Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thursday, June 11—Day 50

Today’s hike took us through many grassy meadows. Small creeks and streams ran everywhere, and we could see snow-capped mountains in the distance. We climbed to 10,500 feet, our highest elevation yet. The next four days or so will make that seem like nothing, though.

The Sierras are full of trade-offs. We no longer have the heat of the desert, but it could snow, rain, or hail at any time. There are no more rattlesnakes, but we are in bear country, and must be very careful. The scenery is beautiful, but the elevations are high and the air is thinner, which makes climbing harder. There’s water all over the place, but there are also mosquitoes.

The mosquitoes. I sat, cooking dinner and watching ten, twenty, thirty of them float erratically around me. I don’t know what compels all insects to try and get into my ears, but I’m sick of it. There’s nothing in there for you! I slapped my shoulder at one point and killed three of them. A triple KO! Steve says that they’re going to be much, much worse. I am concerned.

On the bear front, we did pick up our bear canisters in Kennedy Meadows. All of my food, or as much as I could fit, is now in a giant, bear-proof plastic container. The rest is hanging in a tree, and I solemnly hope that no bears get it down, because I’ve got snacks in there.

We’re camped in Death Canyon. I don’t know why it’s called that. My ice axe is in my tent. G’Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment