Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sunday, June 14—Day 53

The Green Shark has a malfunctioning zipper, and I could not be more annoyed about it.

We climbed Mt. Whitney, as promised. It was a tough four miles or so up snowy switchbacks, the air too thin for normal breathing. We climbed for four or five hours before finally reaching the top. It was very cold up there! The bite valve on my hydration tube kept freezing, and I would have to chew on it to crush the ice crystals blocking the tube to get water. At the top of the mountain, there is a stone cabin, a shelter for anyone who climbs up. I did not go inside, choosing instead to check out the view, which was beyond description. Snowy mountains on all sides bowed down below us. We were kings.

I had a cell phone signal for the first time in nearly two weeks, and managed to make two quick calls before it was time to go. I wish I could have stayed up there longer, despite the freezing cold, but we were in a hurry.

The climb down went very quickly. Almost too quickly, once or twice. The snow was softening as noon approached, and my feet slid around on the drifts. My trekking poles saved me more than once, and I can’t believe I haven’t broken them yet. Near the bottom, the footsteps of previous hikers led us down a steep snowy slope. Instead of creeping carefully down the hills, I ran at full force. The air at the bottom was warm, and when I finally stopped, I took off my jacket and stood in the sun. I have learned to appreciate warmth.

Tomorrow we’re going to climb Forrester Pass, which is at something like 13,000 feet. It’s going to be another big day. ‘Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment