Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, May 25th--Day 33

We did not hike out today, partly because of Tom and Jerry's shins, or shin splints, and partly because taking an extra day here was not an unattractive proposition.

This place reminds me of the dorms in college. Hikers are everywhere, sitting and eating, drinking, watching videos in the trailer, talking in lawn chairs in the shade playing the guitar and singing for each other. There's a relaxed sort of energy here that intrigues me. I spent much of the day today finishing To Kill A Mockingbird in a hammock. I'm gonna be honest, I was teary-eyed at a few points in that story. It is a very, very good book.

The horses here, I found out, are Percheron Draft Horses, an ancient breed used by the Romans as war horses. I don't know if I spelled Percheron right. The male, Rick, is huge and black, and used to work at Disneyland, before he was retired for being scared of balloons. The female, Emma is white and also huge, and has something of an attitude. She means well, but if she shoves me with her head again, we're going to fight. I will battle a horse. I told her that.

I think we're actually leaving tomorrow. Night!

1 comment:

  1. My family used to own a couple of Percheron draft horses - those things are huge beast, but usally are farely gentle giants. Yeah, I'd battle a horse.

    -Tim K.

    ReplyDelete