Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Saturday, June 6th-Day 45

Slept in this morning. Meadow Ed and some volunteers made breakfast, but we slept through it. I made up for it with a bowl of granola and milk, which was delicious. After eating, we met up with a guy named Half Mile, our ride into Onyx.

Onyx turned out to be a post office and a gas station. The post office barely seemed open, with the inside door locked and two women working inside, summoned by a buzzer. They gave us our box, and we picked up a few essentials from the gas station (peanut butter, candy bars) and headed back to Walker Pass, where the camp was. Upon opening our box, I was extremely excited to find a small load of snacks for me, courtesy of Megan, who is a wonderful person (It's true. I sent him cakesters. -M)

I have to explain something about food. Out here, every variety of food is magnified in deliciousness tenfold. At home, I might not like Cheerios (I don't), but out here I love them (I do!)(I now pronounce you man and cereal. -M) Pop-Tarts might be a mediocre snack in everyday life, but when I'm halfway up a mountain, reclining against my pack and pouring the last crumbs from the package into my mouth, there is nothing in the world I'd rather be eating right then. I have not encountered a single food out here that wasn't tasty.

Oh right, today. So, we sorted our food, then took naps? A nap?...We napped in our tents until noon, and then set about the process of getting packed. After we finally had everything ready, we headed back over to the pavilion for more scavenging and some goodbyes, and then we hit the trail.

I've gotta be honest, the last two days took their toll on me. My legs were stiff, one of my feet had blisters, and the other one feels bruised deep inside the arch. We had a 1,000 foot climb right off the bat that had me a little worried, but I slowed down my pace, took it one step at a time, and pushed all the way up. We ran into Steve, who's been trail named "The Dude" because his voice sounds very much like the voice of Jeff Bridges. Together, we put in another seven miles (for a total of twelve) up and then down a very rocky trail. My shoes have about had it, I think, and the sharp rocks did not feel great on my feet, which were still pretty sore, but we made it down to a spring in a deep, shaded valley, and set up camp. There are rumors of bear trouble around here. I thought about putting my pack far away from my tent, but put it in my vestibule instead. If a bear wants my Oreos, he's going to have to fight me for them. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment