Monday, July 27, 2009

Thursday, May 28th--Day 36

After three helpings of pancakes this morning, another nap in the hammock shortly thereafter, and a trip to the store for a 2-liter bottle of Sunny Delight (I want the empty bottle for increased water capacity), we finally made our goodbyes and got a ride out to the trail head. The late afternoon sun was still hot, and the trail took off on an immediate climb up into the hills, but we soon made our way over the top and coasted an easy eight miles to a water cache, where we set camp for the night. It's been a short day.

I feel that I should talk about Trail Angels. Trail Angels are people who go out of their way to supply hikers with resources beyond their normal means, and to otherwise help in any way they can. Usually, this includes resupplying water caches and offering rides, but sometimes a Trail Angel will put up hikers in their home. All of this is free. Although donations are grudgingly accepted. I've met some really wonderful people doing this. I didn't like in general before I came out here, but I can feel that starting to change. I don't know if there's a better gift that can be given than restoring one's faith in humanity.

There's a creature rustling the tall grass about ten feet away from my tent. I can hear it, but I can't see it. If it comes out, I only hope that's it's cute, and not horrifying. G'Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment